Paper-based Theory of Music exams ‘on application’
> Applying to host paper-based Theory of Music examinations
> Exam enrolment and administration
> Theory of Music integrated course and workbooks
Although AMEB’s online theory examinations have been embraced by a large proportion of teachers and students, we recognise that some students prefer to work with pencil and paper.
A school or private studio with a group of ten or more candidates may apply to host paper-based Theory of Music examinations on any convenient date from March through to November (maximum of two groups per year). A group may comprise candidates undertaking any Theory of Music grade or diploma examination at the same time. Studio teachers may wish to collaborate to arrange a group of acceptable size.
Applications will need to be lodged with AMEB Victoria at least six weeks before the proposed examination date, to enable unique exam question papers to be prepared and printed.
With the introduction of this service, alongside our popular online examination offering, the August session for paper-based exams in Theory of Music, Musicianship and Music Craft will no longer be offered.
Applicants must nominate a suitable examination supervisor who will:
- Receive examination question papers and keep them in a secure location under strict confidentiality.
- Ensure that the examinations are taken under appropriate examination conditions on the date, time and place approved by AMEB Victoria.
- Collect examination papers and arrange for their secure return to AMEB Victoria immediately after completion of the examination.
Applying to host paper-based Theory of Music examinations
1. Contact AMEB Victoria to request a Paper-based Theory of Music Examination Application Form.
2. Complete the Application Form, providing details of:
- Proposed examination venue, date and time
- Name and contact details of the nominated Exam Supervisor
- Each candidate’s full name and date of birth, together with details of the Theory of Music grade or diploma exam requested
3. Submit the completed Application Form to AMEB Victoria at least six weeks prior to the proposed examination date (which may be any time between 1 March and 30 November).
Exam enrolment and administration
4. At its discretion AMEB Victoria will determine the acceptability of the proposed Exam Supervisor, venue and date and confirm arrangements with the applicant.
5. AMEB Victoria will enroll candidates in AMEB Connect and request payment of examination fees.
6. Confirmation of Enrolment will be issued after fees have been received.
7. Unique exam question papers will be prepared and forwarded to the approved Exam Supervisor prior to the scheduled exam date.
8. Completed exam papers will be assigned to an AMEB specialist examiner for marking.
9. Examination results and reports will normally be available on AMEB Connect within 14 days of the date of the examination.
10. Reports and certificates will be mailed to successful candidates, as appropriate.
> Download paper-based Theory of Music examination information sheet
Theory of Music integrated course and workbooks
Students may confidently prepare for examinations in AMEB Theory of Music Grades 1 to 4 by studying with the new Theory of Music integrated course and workbooks, suitable for AMEB online or paper-based Theory exams. Read more