VMTA Gippsland Workshop
A full day of music education sessions for teachers and secondary school students, hosted by VMTA and presented by Marianne Rigby.
Date: Sunday 16 May 2021
Time: 10am – 5pm
Venue: Wesley of Warragul, 64 Victoria Street, Warragul, Victoria, 3820
- How to incorporate singing in your teaching practice
- Music theatre singing technique for secondary students
- VCE Units 1-4 performance excellence session with masterclass
Session 1: 10:00am-12:00pm
The Value of the Voice
For classroom music, generalist classroom, instrumental & vocal teachers
Generalist teachers, classroom music teachers, studio and school instrumental and voice teachers will gain new insights and skills on how to incorporate singing in their teaching practice. Topics to be discussed include Vocal Health, Building Singing Confidence, Brain and Heart Benefits, Advocating in a COVID World and a Q&A. Teachers are then welcome to stay to observe Sessions 2 and 3 at no additional charge.
Session 2: 12:30pm-2:30pm
Sing Up a Storm!
Music Theatre singing technique for secondary students aged 13-18
This practical session, geared for secondary school students of the performing arts, will use famous Musical numbers and scenes to explore the following topics: Singing Safely, The Head & Chest Toolkit, Refining Role, Ensemble Singing Skills, Characterisation Through the Music and Text, and Physical Characterisation Skills. Students will stage numbers and present a polished performance at the end of the workshop.
Session 3: 3:00pm-5:00pm
Be Excellent: How to Smash Your VCE Performance Exam
For VCE Units 1-4 music performance students of any instrument
Marianne will break down the 10 Assessment Criteria so that musicians and teachers know both examiner expectations and how to work consistently and practically to fulfil them. Three young performers will then be selected to perform in a masterclass setting to receive Marianne’s feedback, her guidance on fully expressing the Criteria, and practical exercises to improve performing. All participants will benefit from observing in the masterclass setting.
Check In: 30 mins prior to each session
- Session 1: $50 per teacher (flat rate)
- Session 2: $20 per student
- Session 3: $20 per student
FREE Teacher Observation Sessions
Teachers attending Session 1 are welcome to stay to observe Session 2 and 3 at no additional charge. All teachers must be booked in by registering separately for each session (for example if you have registered for Session 1 and wish to stay on for Session 2 as an observer, you must complete a separate booking).
CALL FOR PERFORMERS: Session 3: How to Smash Your VCE Performance Exam
Teachers are invited to nominate a student (or students can nominate themselves) for the masterclass component. We are looking for 3 students to perform including 2 instrumentalists and 1 vocalist. To register your interest, please contact Genevieve Newton by email at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Friday 7 May.
- Morning tea provided for Session 1
- All other sessions BYO lunch/snacks & water bottle
- Cafes within walking distance
VMTA gratefully acknowledges the generous support of St Paul’s Anglican Grammar School (Warragul & Traralgon)
How to Register
- Click on the registration link above to be taken to the TryBooking page
- On the TryBooking page, select link to BOOK NOW
- Select the Session you wish to attend
- NOTE: if registering for more than 1 session, you must book separately for each session
- Select ticket type and number of tickets required
- Enter the details for each attendee using the online form
- Submit credit card payment
- NOTE: Schools can request an invoice for payment by contacting the VMTA office by email email@example.com
- After you’ve registered, you’ll receive a confirmation email from TryBooking and VMTA
Victorian Music Teachers’ Association
T: (03) 5243 4200